Why this blog?

"... Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Do not search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Letters to a Young Artist, R. M. Rilke

Rooted in the promise and challenge of growth ...

these are letters from a young teacher.

Monday, September 29, 2008

True confessions allow for true growth (part one)

It's been a while since I wrote. In the meantime, quite the drama has occurred that half-way prevented me from writing because I could sense the story was changing constantly. I didn't want to misrepresent, though I fear the narrative will end up being a bit distorted anyway.

I came to our third student teaching seminar with an embarrassing, but genuine confession: "I have a student that I don't like." It was hard to say this out loud, and yet, there were simply no other words for it. The issue I was wishing to express, however, had nothing to do with the student, but rather with my own attitude that I knew was already affecting my general behavior with her compared to with other students. I don't like disliking other people in general, and disliking a student does not exempt me from the responsibility to help her succeed and grow in her learning.

And that was exactly it: as I worked through my recollections of our interactions (she is a female, I'll call her Dora), and specifically my responses, I recognized the true challenge of the situation to be fulfilling my responsibilities by finding a way to work with her that erases - or, at least, limits - my negative attitude and supports her learning as much as possible. The task at hand lies entirely in my lap; all the better if she has no idea.

Oh, but Dora is not that easy a case. Is anyone, really? As a matter of fact, the longer I have struggled to connect with her, the more intrigued I have become with her thinking, her behavior, and - quite simply - her story. As one might expect, it runs much deeper than her words and actions might imply ...

I'm afraid I have to leave the cliff-hanger there, folks. To be brutally (and embarrassingly) honest, I was discussing with my host family what I should use for a pseudonym, and - as per usual - we got a little side-tracked. I promise not to keep you hanging too long this time!

No comments: