Why this blog?

"... Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Do not search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Letters to a Young Artist, R. M. Rilke

Rooted in the promise and challenge of growth ...

these are letters from a young teacher.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

May there always be sunshine

Oh, those two-year-olds ... I am so proud of them! Somehow, all of the energy they were putting into their detachment from their parents at the beginning of the day has now translated itself into the attachment that they can still feel, even when Mama isn't at school with them. Everything they make on a piece of paper - crayon drawings, paint blotters, gluing tissue paper - is "for my mommy".

It's getting to the point where I have moments when I look around, everyone is engaged, and I think: the only thing that needs my direct attention at the moment is my bladder! And that is just lovely (the fact that the kids are engaged, not the fact that I have waited too long)

In one of those very moments, I found myself recalling the prayer shared by a young Russian boy that somehow ended up a Raffi song:

May there always be sunshine
May there always be bread
May there always be Mama
May there always be me

Life just couldn't get any better than that, I think. I cringe to think of everything else I have asked for in my life. But: sunshine, bread, Mama (my fam), and me ... that is enough. It was enough then, and it still is.

Lass die Sonne weiter scheinen
Lass es Brot für alle geben
Lass die Mama immer da sein
Lass mich immer weiter leben

No comments: