Why this blog?

"... Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Do not search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Letters to a Young Artist, R. M. Rilke

Rooted in the promise and challenge of growth ...

these are letters from a young teacher.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I never thought it possible ...

When I left Germany after two years as an English assistant, a colleague mentioned to me that it would be a shame ("Schade") if I didn't go on to teach German, or use my German in my profession. At the time, I sort of agreed, but I was also fervently protective of my German as a personal treasure, of sorts. Why did I have to use German for my profession? Couldn't I just keep it for myself?

However, I was a bit disheartened by the slim prospects of blending my new interest in early education with my experience in German language and culture. I thought I would have to wait for an opportunity to work in Germany, again, before fulfilling both passions simultaneously. ... But! I was pleasantly surprised when I came upon - of all things - a German-immersion pre-school right in my neighborhood!


PLUS
EQUALS


This school is still very young, and growing. What has begun as a Preschool-Kindergarten program of about 40 students has grand plans to become a legitimate K-8 school, like other German American schools in the country. But for now, they are developing an official curriculum and establishing themselves in the German American community.

A dream come true?? That's what I'm here to find out!

No comments: