Why this blog?

"... Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Do not search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Letters to a Young Artist, R. M. Rilke

Rooted in the promise and challenge of growth ...

these are letters from a young teacher.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Opal Summer Symposium, Day Three




"Nurturing Habits of Heart and Mind"

DAY THREE
I get to play!

Saturday is traditionally the day of the symposium when teachers get to "play" with the materials that students get to work with every day. It is, by far, the favorite. And no wonder - how often do teachers get to be students?! (The fun kind, I mean...)

It was today that I realized a bit more about what draws me to this school, and why I feel so comfortable in this environment. Today, as I sat, again, in front of the materials, remembering how I felt the first time I was here a year ago, I felt the student inside me experience such satisfaction, I'd no idea how long it had been since I'd been in touch with her. Working on my Master's, I'd been a very good student on the outside, going to classes, writing my papers, wrestling with ideas and considering the future ... which is all good and well ... but I realized I'd lost touch with myself as a student on the inside, in the last crazy and stressful months of thesis writing and graduation preparation. So, it is to her - my inner student - that I dedicate this day of my life, and will let the photos speak for themselves ...









Teachers work with different materials in different classrooms: clay, watercolor, wire, fabric ...


No comments: