Why this blog?

"... Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves ... Do not search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." - Letters to a Young Artist, R. M. Rilke

Rooted in the promise and challenge of growth ...

these are letters from a young teacher.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Opal Summer Symposium, here I come!





From my journal:

It's been a year since I first discovered this place for myself, and I'm taking this moment to ponder, again, why I feel so drawn here ... what continues to bring me back?

Is it the concept and pedagogy of emergent curriculum? - This exciting pedagogical idea, new on my radar, that resonates deeply with my sense of self and style as an educator?? ... Is it the community I observe at work here? - This community of conscientious, passionate, intellectual thinkers, who call themselves teacher-researchers?? ... Is it the values and philosophies I see embodied in their practice and scholarship?

I am sure it is all of these things. But today, I am remembering one moment on one day, one year ago. It was my first visit to Opal, my first real encounter with the Reggio Emilia pedagogical approach. We were all invited to "play" with several materials provided in each of the different classrooms. As I sat down at a table in front of a large fern frond, with an empty page in front of me, watercolors to my left, and a brush to my right, I remembered what it was to be a student.

How often do teachers take the time and care to remember that?! And how did I feel there, as a student at Opal?

I felt capable.
I felt a trust in me.
I felt creative and challenged and, yet, calm in it all.
But most of all,
I felt welcome,
invited,
celebrated.

Philosophically, pedagogically, socially ... yes, I am intrigued, I am drawn back to this place and these people, once again. But it is that first moment as a student in this school that I carry with me when I leave, and that always brings me back.

So, here I am again. Hello, Opal!

No comments: